Thursday 16 February 2017

OUGD603 Icon A Day - Icon Research - Self-initiated (Brief Four)

What is an icon? 

An icon is a small pictorial symbol. It is a mark or sign that indicates, signifies, or is understood as representing an idea, object or relationship. Icons allow people to go beyond what is known or seen by creating linkages between otherwise very different concepts and experiences. All communication is achieved through the use of symbols or icons. An icon celebrates and shares the worlds visual language. Icons are useful as no visual language is used and can therefore be understood in any language and culture.

Research into icons in use.

I then thought it would be beneficial to look at some icons in use. I found this particular design by Foxduo when looking for internships around Leeds. It's a beautiful design and the iconography is really well suited to the brand. It gives across a very high class feel to the restaurant.

Foxduo Design, The Place, Leeds.

I found this particular use of icons when browsing through Behance. It's clear that icons are used a lot for brands as they make the brand recognisable and different from other similar products. This particular design is really successful and the way the iconography goes onto the background of the mockup is really well executed as it's clear that it wraps around the whole of the packaging.

Ashbel Ong, Caribou Coffee.

The design below is a design I remember from first year of uni and is for Leeds Indie Food Festival by Hungry Sandwich Club. It's a really successful use of icons as it shows what is available around the festival; this is something I could do for my own design.

Hungry Sandwich Club, Leeds Indie Food Festival.

I found this on Behance for a brand called 'Love Guide Condoms'. I think it's a really unique idea and the use of icons is really slick and fits well with the ideology behind the company.

Guan-Hao Pan, Love Guide Condoms

This is a poster design for NYC Service Poster Campaign. I think the poster is really successful and the use of iconography is really nice as each icon links together. This is something I am going to try for my own design to show how my icons could be used.

Sid Lee, NYC Service Poster Campaign








No comments:

Post a Comment